Celebrating Our Assets
Ottawa’s downtown core already has so much more to offer than just the Parliament buildings. It has the beauty of the Ottawa River and Rideau Canal, the shops of Bank Street, the restaurants of Sparks Street, and a long list of existing and emerging sustainability assets such as:
- Over 30 certified Green buildings;
- A growing sustainable transportation system which includes, the Laurier cycling lane, the NCC pathways, VeloGo bike share, many VRTUCAR locations, and the Confederation LRT line coming soon;
- An impressive green energy infrastructure, including Energy Ottawa’s run-of-river hydroelectric generation in the Ottawa River, a large district energy system, and the Fleet Street Pumping Station;
- Fantastic outdoor recreational spaces including the Fleet Street whitewater course, the Rideau Canal, and the Ottawa River pathway; and
- Local food options such as the Nanny Goat Hill Community Garden, a pilot outdoor Good Food Market, and several Savour Ottawa restaurants.
The Ottawa Centre EcoDistrict wants to make this list grow. And we need the community’s help to do it. Here’s a more detailed list of assets we’ve identified and if you have anything to add please e mail us or tweet to @ott_EcoDistrict. We want your input!