What we have done so far
The Ottawa Centre EcoDistrict has been in place since May 2012. Originally led by a great steering committee, we received funding to launch fully in April 2014. Since then we have:
- Released our findings on District Energy
- Launched our Electric Vehicle (EV) campaign with the annual EV Day on Sparks Street
- Launched our Cycle In campaign including a count of all surface level bike parking and assessment of 20 desired cycling routes to and through the EcoDistrict
- Engaged community members and stakeholders in the development of our Sustainable Neighbourhood Action Plan
- Developed the EcoDistrict Network of businesses and organizations that support our work through investment and action
- Hosted several “Local Beer Friendlies” to promote social vibrancy and local issues such as green energy and cycling
- Hosted our first ever EcoFair and EcoDistrict Race both during Environment Week
- Supported the efforts of Carbon613 through event promotion;
- Worked with other environmental groups to raise the profile of climate change issues
- Met with political representatives and the federal, provincial and municipal level to discuss GHG reductions, improving infrastructure for cycling and for electric vehicles and making the national capital region a showcase for the low carbon economy.
To learn more about current projects go to our Initiatives page.
Where we are headed
- Promoting green and local events;
- Improving bike parking downtown and cycling infrastructure across the City;
- Designing LRT Phase 2 transit stations to promote active transportation to the station;
- Increasing the number transit users who cycle to park and rides;
- Increasing the number of EV events from one to three per year;
- Increasing the number of participants in EcoFair and the EcoDistrict Race;
- Improving recycling in multi-residential buildings; and
- Continuing to support the City of Ottawa’s Energy Evolution project.
How to keep informed of upcoming events
The best way to keep informed is to become a Friend of the EcoDistrict.